As an organisation established to promote and defend Catalan language and culture, particularly in education, the Anglo-Catalan Society would like to denounce the threats to linguistic rights and educational freedoms which are presently being experienced in the Balearic Islands. The uncompromising imposition of the new language disposition (TIL) by the current Balearic government, without sufficient resources or consultation with parents and educators is having a disastrous effect on the teaching of Catalan. It is also placing an intolerable pressure on teachers to re-train in order to impart in English subjects they formerly delivered in their own language and that of the pupils. We wish to express our solidarity for the teachers in their defence of Catalan in the education system and call on the Balearic government to enter into negotiations with parents and educators to ensure a reasonable outcome to the conflict.
Com a organització creada per promoure i defensar la llengua i la cultura catalanes, particularment en el món educatiu, l'Anglo-Catalan Society vol denunciar les amenaces als drets lingüístics i a les llibertats educatives que actualment es produeixen a les Illes Balears. La imposició intransigent d'una nova reglamentació lingüística (TIL) per part del govern de les Illes Balears sense suficients recursos ni consultes amb els pares i mares i el personal docent, tindria un efecte desastrós en l'ensenyament del català. També crea una pressió intolerable sobre el professorat a l'hora d'impartir en anglès matèries que abans eren impartides en la llengua de docents i alumnes. Volem expressar la nostra solidaritat amb el professorat en la seva defensa del català en el sistema educatiu i demanar al govern de les illes Balears que negociï amb els progenitors i els docents per garantir uns sortida raonable a aquest conflicte.
This year's conference will take place at the University of Manchester. We encourage members and non-members alike to come to the conference and take advantage of this excellent opportunity to hear stimulating papers, engage in lively discussion and enjoy meeting with colleagues and friends. The University has a long tradition in the teaching of Catalan and in recent years has been gradually building up local and international collaborations and networks in relation to Catalan culture. The city itself is a major transport hub, whilst offering the perfect opportunity for exploring the industrial heritage of the area, the thriving musical scene or the relaxing natural resources of the North-West of England (the Peak District and the Lakes). For more information please refer to the following website: http://www.visitmanchester.com/
The Conference will take place on the central University North (Sackville street) campus (5 minutes' walk from Piccadilly Station). The Joan Gili Lecture will be delivered by Isona Passola, Director of the Catalan Film Academy. A team of student volunteers will be available throughout the Conference to offer help and advice. Your local contacts at Manchester are Adrià Castells and Chris Perriam: Adria.Castellsferrando@manchester.ac.ukChristopher.Perriam@manchester.ac.uk
The University Conference's Office will be able to make bookings on your behalf for city-centre accommodation -- information will be included in the Further Details to be posted. For anyone wishing to book accommodation well in advance, there are good deals to be had on city centre hotels via the usual online sites. We anticipate that many delegates will choose to stay at the Ibis on Princess Street, and the Conference Office is negotiating a conference rate for us there.
SCHOLARSHIPS TO ATTEND THE ANGLO-CATALAN SOCIETY ANNUAL CONFERENCE, University of Manchester 1-3 November 2013
1. Given the success of the new type of awards, at the 2012 Annual General Meeting it was decided that the Anglo-Catalan Society Scholarship would continue to be divided into awards of up to £100 each (maximum of 10) to encourage students interested in Catalan culture to attend the Annual Anglo-Catalan Society Conference.
2. Applicants will normally be present or recent students of British or Irish nationality who would like to maintain and/or develop knowledge and understanding of Catalan culture, or postgraduate students of whatever nationality who are currently doing research in the field of Catalan Studies.
3. The award will comprise of: Free membership of the Anglo-Catalan Society for one year (until January 2015); up to £100 towards the cost of conference and travel expenses. Payments will be made on production of bills and receipts further to the submission of a report (see point 6).
4. Each applicant should provide the following information: 1. Curriculum Vitae; 2. One academic reference provided by either a member of their Spanish department or by a Catalan lector; 3. A signed declaration to the effect that the applicant will attend the full conference and that s/he will take responsibility for the rest of the funding.
5. Applications should be sent to Dr Elina Vilar Beltrán (Quenn Mary, University of London) at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Successful candidates will be expected to submit a report on the Conference to Dr Elina Vilar before 10th January 2014. Bills and receipts should be sent to Dr Sergi Mainer (University College Cork) by the same date at the following address: email@example.com . Late submissions will not be accepted.
7. The closing date for applications is 4th October 2013. Late applications will not be considered under any circumstances.